Rooibos (pronounced roy-boss) meaning “red bush” is only found in the Cederberg region of Cape Town in South Africa. Luckily for South Africans, they have been enjoying this tea's benefits for hundreds of years.
- The antioxidants in Rooibos tea such as Polyphenols, Aspalathin, Nothofagin and Quercetin, which makes it a great beverage to boost your immune system and protect your body against all types of diseases due to their anti-inflammatory nature.
- Some studies have shown that Rooibos can help lower high blood pressure (hypertension), as well as relieve stress and nervous tension. Rooibos Tea acts as a bronchodilator to improve respiratory issues like asthma and some allergies, and subsequently reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases like heart attacks and atherosclerosis.
- Rooibos contains high levels of Chrysoeriol, which has been known to aid the circulation of blood through the body. This can help to lower your cholesterol, improving your chances of not developing cardiovascular issues. It promotes an increase in your good cholesterol (HDL cholesterol) and deters bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) from attaching to the walls of arteries and blood vessels.
- Drinking a cup of Rooibos tea 30 minutes before a meal has been known to help prevent indigestion, as it helps the digestive system to process food. Rooibos is a rich source of antispasmodic agents which can ease severe stomach cramps and abdominal pains, and reduce hyperactivity in the gastrointestinal tract, preventing diarrhoea and other intestinal issues.
- Rooibos is rich in Aspalathin, which has been known to help prevent type II diabetes due to its hypoglycemic effect on the body, thereby regulating the function of insulin resistance and balancing your blood sugars.
- Rooibos has high levels of manganese, calcium and natural fluoride, which all aid in growing strong bones and teeth. These minerals can help to reduce your chances of developing conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, and chronic joint pain. And for those that already suffer from one of these diseases, drinking Rooibos can alleviate some of the pain.
- Rooibos tea has long been championed around the world because of its high levels of zinc and alpha-hydroxy acid, which aid in keeping skin and hair healthy. People who suffer from conditions such as eczema or acne may benefit from drinking Rooibos tea as it cleanses from the inside out. Some people have been known to apply red tea powder directly to the skin to relieve acne, pimples, sunburn or other related skin conditions.
- Alpha-hydroxy acids can also reduce the signs of wrinkles and other premature aging symptoms, but they are rarely found in natural products. These acids are found in chemical peels which revitalises the skin and gives a healthy glow. However, there are some concerns about commercial uses of alpha-hydroxy acid, so what better way to get them than from a natural source.
- Rooibos Tea is caffeine-free, so you can enjoy it at any time of the day or evening and is ideal for anyone suffering from insomnia.